The great thing about golf majors – the Masters in particular – isn’t just the world’s best players convening in one picturesque location. Or the increased TV time. Or the massive stakes. It’s all of that and the stepped-up game by the apparel companies.
Bigger audiences in person and on TV mean more eyeballs on products, which mean more products off the shelves, which mean more dollar bills in the pockets. We always get a glimpse of what players will wear with the release of scripts, but seeing a neon green ensemble for Rickie Fowler on paper is much different than seeing that getup with green fairways and pink azaleas as the backdrop.
Here’s who wore their Thursday best for the first round of the Masters:
Rickie Fowler, PUMA: That bright greenish-yellow outfit sort of stands out, yeah? That’s familiar territory for Fowler (and PUMA) though, and he’ll be easy to spot the rest of the week.
Jamie Donaldson, J.Lindeberg Golf: Green will obviously be a popular color this week, and the Welshman wore it well. Donaldson’s striped green polo isn’t as flashy as Rickie, but not as plain as Adam Scott.
Bill Haas, Peter Millar: Unfortunately, first-round leaders don’t tend to fare too well in the end at the Masters, but Haas looked good while taking the early lead Thursday. He kept it simple and stylish: thin, grey stripes on a white polo, matched with light orange pants.
Miguel Angel Jmenez, Lacoste: Also looking good in Haas’ group was the most interesting golfer in the world, who got Twitter all atwitter when he led the tournament early on. Turns out round-bellied 50-year-old men can pull off pink Lacoste polos.
Billy Horschel, Ralph Lauren: Horschel went to the University of Florida, but he looked like a Clemson grad on Thursday with his white-striped purple polo and orange cypress pants. Still looked sharp, though.
Related Links: 2014 Masters Scripting
More Masters Coverage:
- 2014 Masters Round 1 & 2 Tee Times and Pairings
- 9 Players to Watch at the Masters
- 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
- The Masters: 2014 Returning Champions
- The Masters: 2014 Rookie Class
- The Masters: 2014 Remaining Field
- Miguel Angel Jimenez Among Masters Leaders, Twitter Goes Nuts
- Justin Rose Fine-Tunes Short Game with Billiards Table
- Masters Kid Caddies: The Cutest Things You’ll Ever See
- Kevin Streelman Gives Young Fan Tickets to Augusta
- Miguel Angel Jimenez’s Masters Routine: Stretching & Smoking
- The Masters: Eat Like A King At Augusta
- Keegan’s Kicks: Masters Green and Jordan 11s
- The Masters: Top 9 All-Time Performances
- Tim Herron’s Masters Scripting is Hilarious
- Rugby Superstar Dan Carter Meets Rory McIlroy at Augusta Gym
- Stadlers Set to be 1st Father-Son Duo in Same Masters
- The Best Spots To Watch Golf At Augusta National
- Photos: 2014 Returning Masters Champs
- Golfstradamaus: The Masters
- Masters Dinner: A Side of… Bugs?
- Zach Galifianakis Enjoys Bubba Watson’s Awkward Handshake
- Drive, Chip & Putt Event Brings Youth Movement To Augusta
- The Masters: Insiders Guide
- Ticket Masters: Tiger’s Withdrawal Could Cost $50 Million
- Throwback Thursday: Masters Traditions & Triumphs (Video)
- Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell (Video)
- A Look Inside The Green Jacket
- All Shook Up: The Green Jacket (Video)
- Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been
- The Odds: Tiger Withdraws From Masters, Rory Assumes Top Spot
- A Tradition Unlike Any Other: Dumb Masters Arguments
- The Masters: 9 Greatest Shots (Video)
- Augusta’s Famed Eisenhower Tree Removed, ‘Ike’ Probably Happy
- 2014 Major Venues Not Immune to Winter Blast (Photos)
Masters Gear Coverage:
- Nike Releases Scripts for the 2014 Masters
- Oakley 2014 Masters Scripting for Bubba Watson and Zach Johnson
- PUMA Golf 2104 Masters Scripting for Rickie Fowler, Graham Delaet and Jonas Blixt
- Nike Shows Off New Masters-Inspired Shoes
- ECCO Releases Limited Edition Fred Couples Shoe
- Callaway Golf Unveils Arnold Palmer-Inspired Masters Gear
- Cobra Golf Releases Limited Edition Masters Driver