The great thing about golf majors – the Masters in particular – isn't just the world's best players convening in one picturesque location. Or the increased TV time. Or the massive stakes. It's all of that and the stepped-up game by the apparel companies.
Bigger audiences in person and on TV mean more eyeballs on products, which mean more products off the shelves, which mean more dollar bills in the pockets. We always get a glimpse of what players will wear with the release of scripts, but seeing bold designs and colors on paper is much different than seeing those combinations with green fairways and pink azaleas as the backdrop.
Here's who wore their Friday best for the second round of the Masters (even if they didn't play their best; only Olesen made the cut):
Jason Dufner, Perry Ellis: We don't often see the Duf Daddy don pants in colors other than white, gray or black, so as soon as he showed up Friday in bright red pants, he secured a spot on this list. They go nicely with the charcoal polo. Maybe his stylish wife dressed him today?
Sergio Garcia, adidas: Rocking the magenta pants around Augusta, and blending in with those azaleas, was Garcia. His outfit Thursday was gray pants with a white polo featuring a magenta stripe on the front that grew to encompass half his back. His getup Friday was just the opposite, with magenta awesomeness on his pants and the gray stripe on his shirt.
Thorbjorn Olesen, Nike: The 24-year-old Dane is part of a growing stable of Nike athletes and he's just now starting to make more appearances on the PGA Tour. It's not tough to look good in Nike, but we especially like the yellow, black and white combination, including the shoes.
Graham DeLaet, PUMA: Spring is in the air and PUMA dropped some of those spring colors on this Canadian's shirt and mixed it with black. Especially with the all black pants and shoes, it's a sharp look.
David Lynn, Galvin Green: The Englishman opted for the all-blue ensemble and pulled it off well with the complimentary shades. Those adizero one shoes are the perfect finishing touch.
More Masters Coverage:
- 2014 Masters Round 1 & 2 Tee Times and Pairings
- Pix: Wives & Girlfriends At The Masters
- 9 Players to Watch at the Masters
- 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
- The Mini Masters: A Video Unlike Any Other
- Masters Win Would Mean Extra $3.3 Million for Lee Westwood
- Bill Haas' 18-Hole Lead Doesn't Bode Well
- 2014 Masters: Best Day 1 Style
- Man On A Mission: How I Ate My Way Through Augusta
- Miguel Angel Jimenez Among Masters Leaders, Twitter Goes Nuts
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Shows Up at Masters
- Palmer, Player, Nicklaus Continue Honorary Starters Tradition
- Justin Rose Fine-Tunes Short Game with Billiards Table
- Masters Kid Caddies: The Cutest Things You'll Ever See
- Kevin Streelman Gives Young Fan Tickets to Augusta
- Miguel Angel Jimenez's Masters Routine: Stretching & Smoking
- The Masters: Eat Like A King At Augusta
- Keegan's Kicks: Masters Green and Jordan 11s
- The Masters: Top 9 All-Time Performances
- The Masters: 9 Greatest Shots (Video)
- The Masters: 2014 Returning Champions
- The Masters: 2014 Rookie Class
- The Masters: 2014 Remaining Field
- Tim Herron’s Masters Scripting is Hilarious
- Rugby Superstar Dan Carter Meets Rory McIlroy at Augusta Gym
- Stadlers Set to be 1st Father-Son Duo in Same Masters
- The Best Spots To Watch Golf At Augusta National
- Photos: 2014 Returning Masters Champs
- Golfstradamaus: The Masters
- Masters Dinner: A Side of... Bugs?
- Zach Galifianakis Enjoys Bubba Watson's Awkward Handshake
- Drive, Chip & Putt Event Brings Youth Movement To Augusta
- The Masters: Insiders Guide
- Ticket Masters: Tiger's Withdrawal Could Cost $50 Million
- Throwback Thursday: Masters Traditions & Triumphs (Video)
- Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell (Video)
- A Look Inside The Green Jacket
- All Shook Up: The Green Jacket (Video)
- Oh, the Places Golf's Majors Trophies Have Been
- The Odds: Tiger Withdraws From Masters, Rory Assumes Top Spot
- A Tradition Unlike Any Other: Dumb Masters Arguments