Do we have a new favorite left-hander? Bubba Watson just slipped on his second green jacket in three years, winning the 2014 Masters Tournament by three shots over Jordan Spieth and Jonas Blixt. That means lefties have now won six of the last 12 Masters.
It's becoming a debate between Watson and Phil "Lefty" Mickelson, who owns three such green jackets and five total majors. Watson has only the two Masters wins, so until he grabs a few more majors, the left-handed honor probably remains with Mickelson at least until he joins the senior tour. He's 43 to Watson's 35.
What's not debatable is Watson's quirkiness. But sometimes quirky can be cool. Regardless, Watson is not your average golfer:
1) He drives a bulletproof truck: It's a 2013 Ford Raptor Super Crew Cab, with the entire exterior bulletproof (including the windows) and wrapped in a black digital cammo print. On the front is an Oakley grille, and built into the hood is an Oakley logo. The interior features lime green in the leather stitching on the seats, in the Oakley logo on the head rests, on the doors and on the console.
2) The man really engages with fans: Last fall he held a contest to find his biggest fan, and in the end he chose two families to fly down and meet him in Phoenix at the Waste Management Open in January. He almost won that event, taking runner-up. Watson also does live Twitter chats with fans. Just search "#BubbaTalkLive."
3) He's a goofball and for that, you're welcome: Most athletes enjoy ESPN's SportsCenter show; Watson maybe a little more than others. He once made his own SportsCenter video with hopes of getting on the show, then later posted another video and actually got on the show. The folks at ESPN even gave him the opening role in a commercial.
4) The thing he may be most proud of is his son: Watson and his wife, Angie, adopted a son, Caleb, soon before he won the 2012 Masters. With his green jacket on, Watson expressed how badly he wanted to get home and celebrate with his family. The father now posts a lot of videos of his toddler emulating Pops around the golf course, like this and this.
5) The man had a watch made for him: Richard Mille developed tourbillon watch for Watson, the RM 38-01 Bubba Watson, a timepiece that combines a patented G-sensor with a tourbillon mechanism, which helps golfers by providing new insights into their games.
More Masters Coverage:
- Masters 2014: Bubba Watson Wins Second Green Jacket
- Miguel Angel Jimenez's 66 Got Twitter Atwitter Again
- Bode Miller Has Quesadilla Confiscated at Augusta Gates
- 5 Reasons Bubba Watson is Not Your Average Golfer
- 10 Surprises After 2014 Masters Cut
- Pix: Wives & Girlfriends At The Masters
- 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
- The Mini Masters: A Video Unlike Any Other
- Masters Win Would Mean Extra $3.3 Million for Lee Westwood
- 2014 Masters: Best Day 3 Style
- 2014 Masters: Best Day 2 Style
- 2014 Masters: Best Day 1 Style
- Man On A Mission: How I Ate My Way Through Augusta
- Miguel Angel Jimenez Among Masters Leaders, Twitter Goes Nuts
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell Shows Up at Masters
- Palmer, Player, Nicklaus Continue Honorary Starters Tradition
- Justin Rose Fine-Tunes Short Game with Billiards Table
- Masters Kid Caddies: The Cutest Things You'll Ever See
- Kevin Streelman Gives Young Fan Tickets to Augusta
- Miguel Angel Jimenez's Masters Routine: Stretching & Smoking
- The Masters: Eat Like A King At Augusta
- The Masters: Top 9 All-Time Performances
- The Masters: 9 Greatest Shots (Video)
- Rugby Superstar Dan Carter Meets Rory McIlroy at Augusta Gym
- The Best Spots To Watch Golf At Augusta National
- Photos: 2014 Returning Masters Champs
- Golfstradamaus: The Masters
- Masters Dinner: A Side of... Bugs?
- Zach Galifianakis Enjoys Bubba Watson's Awkward Handshake
- Drive, Chip & Putt Event Brings Youth Movement To Augusta
- The Masters: Insiders Guide
- Ticket Masters: Tiger's Withdrawal Could Cost $50 Million
- Throwback Thursday: Masters Traditions & Triumphs (Video)
- Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell (Video)
- A Look Inside The Green Jacket
- All Shook Up: The Green Jacket (Video)
- Oh, the Places Golf's Majors Trophies Have Been
- The Odds: Tiger Withdraws From Masters, Rory Assumes Top Spot
- A Tradition Unlike Any Other: Dumb Masters Arguments