What the season's first three majors lacked for drama, the PGA Championship made up for with loads of its own. The raw data says that Rory McIlroy converted 36- and 54-hole leads into his fourth career major, but there was so much more to that.
Here's a look at the numbers from the 2014 PGA Championship at Valhalla:
16 – Number of strokes under par that McIlroy finished for the tournament after carding rounds of 66, 67, 67 and 68. He was one shot better than Phil Mickelson and two better than Rickie Fowler and Henrik Stenson.
4 – Number of strokes under par that McIlory played the back nine on Sunday. After two bogeys and a birdie on the front nine, he sat three shots off the lead, but got two of them back with an eagle at No. 10. He hit a 3-wood to seven feet and rolled in the putt.
2 – Size of McIlroy's lead by shots as he walked off the 17th green, on which he birdied. He hit a 9-iron out of a fairway bunker and stuck it on the green to gain the largest lead for anyone on the day.
5 – Number of players tied for the lead at 12-under: McIlroy, Fowler, Mickelson, Stenson and Bernd Wiesberger. It was while McIlroy and Wiesberger, the last group, were playing the fourth hole.
$4,995,788 – Amount earned by McIlroy in his last three tournaments, all victories. He collected $1,665,788 for the Open Championship, $1,530,000 for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, and $1,800,000 for the PGA Championship, the latter being the largest check in all of golf (tied with the Players Championship).
$1,970,108 – Amount McIlroy had earned on the PGA Tour this season prior to these three wins. And he earned only $1,802,443 all of 2013.
$8,047,952 – Amount of PGA Tour money McIlroy earned in 2012, his best year. With $6,965,896 after the PGA win, he's just $1,082,056 away from matching that with the FedExCup playoffs still left to play.
4 – Number of career majors now owned by McIlroy, making him just the fourth player in the past 100 years to collect that many by the age of 25. Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus and Bobby Jones are the others. McIlroy joins eight other golfers with four career majors, players like Raymond Floyd, Ernie Els, and Tom Morris Senior and Junior.
4 – Span in years that McIlroy's majors have come. He captured the 2011 U.S. Open and 2012 PGA Championship before his two majors in 2014.
2008 – The last time someone won three consecutive PGA Tour starts. Tiger Woods won his final two events of 2007, then his first three tournaments of 2008.
1 – McIlroy's world ranking before and after the PGA Championship, but that also marks his new standing in the FedExCup rankings with the playoffs just two weeks away.
27 – Weight in pounds of the PGA Championship's Wanamaker Trophy.
9 – Number of times Phil Mickelson has now finished runner-up in a major, after his final-round 66 on Sunday left him one shy of McIlroy. He needed an eagle on the 72nd hole to grab a share of the lead, and his chip that would have accomplished the feat rolled just inches past the cup.
36 – Number of career top-10 finishes at majors for Mickelson, including his five major titles. Nine have come at the PGA Championship, including his victory in 2005.
1 – Number of top-10 finishes for Mickelson in the United States this year. Prior to the PGA Championship, his best PGA Tour finish in 2014 was 11th. He did place second in January at the European Tour's Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship.
$1,080,000 – Amount Mickelson earned for his solo-second finish, making him the first player to earn $1 million at a major without winning. The PGA Championship's $10 million purse is the largest of all the majors and tied with only the Players Championship for the largest in golf. The Players also gives out $1.8 million to the winner, and $1.08 million to the runner-up.
$300,000 – Amount of money Fowler lost when his short birdie attempt lipped out on the 72nd hole. That shot dropped him from a second-place tie with Mickelson to a third-place tie with Stenson. Fowler and Mickelson would have both taken home $880,000 had they tied for second, but instead Fowler left with $580,000.
1 – Number of strokes by which Fowler missed a third consecutive runner-up finish in a major.
4 – Number of majors, out of four played this year, that Fowler placed in the top five. He's the first golfer in history to record four such results at all four majors without winning one. He was T-5 at the Masters, T-2 at the U.S. Open, T-2 at the Open Championship and T-3 at the PGA Championship.
32 – Number of strokes under par that Fowler played the four majors this year.
27 – Number of strokes under par that McIlroy played the four majors this year.
$3,942,317 – Money earned by Fowler this season, a new career best (beating his 2012 total of $3,066,293).
Related Link: Complete PGA Championship Coverage
More PGA Championship Links:
- Studs & Duds From the 2014 PGA Championship
- 2014 PGA Championship: Best Day 4 Style
- Rory McIlroy Saves Wanamaker With Catch of the Year
- Round 4 Recap: Rory Makes It Reign at PGA Championship
- 2014 PGA Championship: Round 4 Tee Times and Pairings
- 2014 PGA Championship: Best Day 3 Style
- Rory vs. Rickie: Will McIlroy-Fowler be Golf's Next Great Rivalry?
- Round 3 Recap: McIlroy Keeps Lead, Big Names Close Behind
- Photos: PGA Championship - Round 3
- Jason Day Shows Off Legs, Makes Most Bizarre Par Ever
- Whoops: Ian Poulter's Wedge Shot On Green Backfires
- 2014 PGA Championship's Hole of the Day: Valhalla's 18th
- 2014 PGA Championship: Round 3 Tee Times and Pairings
- Round 2 Recap: Rory McIlroy Builds his Lead in the Rain
- 2014 PGA Championship: Best Day 2 Style
- 2014 PGA Championship's Hole of the Day: Valhalla's 13th
- Rory McIlroy Makes Girl's Day with Photo at Gas Station
- Chris Wood Split his Pants En Route to Top of Leaderboard
- The Fringe: We May Not See Jason Dufner Again Until 2016
- Round 1 Recap: From Glory's Last Shot to Rory's Latest Shot
- 2014 PGA Championship: Best Day 1 Style
- Photos: PGA Championship - Round 1
- Woods, Mickelson Start With Mixed Results at PGA Championship
- 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
- 2014 PGA Championship's Hole of the Day: Valhalla's 7th
- The Fringe: Fowler, Garcia on the Bag & Photobombing at the PGA
- The Breakdown: Who are the Hottest Players in the Majors?
- 9 Best Groups To Watch at 2014 PGA Championship
- Flashback: Y.E. Yang Tames Tiger in 2009 PGA Championship
- Go Time: Tiger Woods Shows Up at Valhalla, Expects to Win
- Golfstradamaus: 96th PGA Championship
- Oh, the Places Golf's Majors Trophies Have Been
- Photos: PGA Championship Preview
- The Fringe: Rory McIlroy the Next Bond & Horschel's Latest Pants
- Dufner Serves 'Butt-Rubbed' Filet Mignon at PGA Champions Dinner
- Tiger Arrives at Valhalla for PGA Championship
- 5 Things You Need to Know: 2014 PGA Championship at Valhalla
- Chuck Irons, Golf P.I. - Valhalla Victory
- Now More Than Ever, Tiger’s Race to Catch Jack Looking Dim
- Flashback: Sergio Challenges Tiger at 1999 PGA Championship
- 9 Greatest Moments in Valhalla Golf Club History
- Live Updates: 2014 PGA Championship Long-Drive Contest
- 'Walk-In Putt' at Valhalla Just One Of Tiger's Famous 16th-Hole Shots
- The Fringe: Bubba Watson Won't Drive for Show
- The Fringe: Tiger's Caddie Carries On & Fowler Turns Some Laps
- 2014 PGA Championship: Rounds 1 & 2 Tee Times and Pairings
- 2014 PGA Championship: adidas & Ashworth Scripting
- PGA Championship 2014: PUMA Golf Scripting
- 2014 PGA Championship: Nike Golf Scripting
- 2014 PGA Championship Scripting for Oakley's Bubba Watson
- Why the PGA Championship Is Not a Minor Major
- Return to Valhalla: Tiger Woods vs. Bob May 14 Years Later
- The Odds: Rory Remains Huge Favorite at PGA Championship
- Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy Get Custom Louisville Sluggers
- 'Stay Tuned': Keegan Bradley Teases Fans With Jordan Shoes
- 2014 PGA Championship: Valhalla Hole-By-Hole
- 2014 PGA Championship Scripting for Jason Dufner
- Greg Norman Collection Featured at PGA Championship, Ryder Cup
- Last Shot: Colin Montgomerie Gets Final Major Chance at Valhalla
- 9 Greatest Moments in PGA Championship History
- The Breakdown: Rickie Fowler's Majorly Impressive Year
- PGA Championship To Welcome Back Long-Drive Competition
- You Can Influence the PGA Championship's Outcome
- Players & PGA Championships To Offer $10 Million Purses