As if the Ryder Cup needed more interesting storylines, the “Most Interesting Man in Golf” was announced as one of three vice captains for the European team.
Miguel Angel Jimenez, Jose Maria Olazabal and BACK9NETWORK ambassador Padraig Harrington will support captain Paul McGinley Sept. 26-28 at Gleneagles. The trio joins Des Smyth and Sam Torrance on McGinley’s experienced staff.
Anyone familiar with Jimenez’ antics and stretching routine know just how important this is to the entertainment factor later this month.
— PING GOLF (@PingTour) September 3, 2014
The addition of these three veterans, who share a combined 17 Ryder Cup appearances between them, only improves the European’s chances against the underdog Americans.
Jimenez and Olazabal already have leadership experience at the Ryder Cup serving as vice captains two and three times, respectively. Olazabal was the captain for Team Europe in 2012.
For Harrington, a three-time major champion and six-time Ryder Cup competitor, it will be his first post as vice captain.
Photo Gallery: Miguel Angel Jimenez
- Fans Now Encouraged To Use Social Media At Ryder Cup
- Ralph Lauren Unveils U.S. Ryder Cup Team Uniforms
- Bradley, Mahan, Simpson Named U.S. Ryder Cup Captain’s Picks
- Ryder Cup Officials To Enforce Social Media Ban
- One American’s Tribute to Ryder Cup Legend/Nightmare Ian Poulter
- U.S. Ryder Cup Team Takes Ice Bucket Challenge
- Bubba Watson Gets Awesome Ryder Cup Shoes From Oakley
- Donald Trump’s Next Golf Wish: Move Ryder Cup To Dubai
- Poulter, Westwood, Gallacher Complete European Ryder Cup Team