Rory McIlroy may have made more than $20 million last year – which, surely you've heard, was a down year for him – but that doesn't mean the young man doesn't have some common courtesy.
Prior to proposing to girlfriend Caroline Wozniacki on New Year's Day in Australia, the world's sixth-ranked golfer asked her parents for permission.
Related Link: Rory McIlroy & Caroline Wozniacki Relationship Timeline
"My parents knew. He had asked my parents for permission, like traditional, which was great," Wozniacki told Tennis.com. "I was very happy. They were very happy for me, and his parents as well and everyone around us.
"So it's a special moment, a special time in our lives. You know, it's amazing to have everything set in the personal life and we can really focus on our games and the year ahead of us in the sport, which we're both looking very much forward to."
Date and location of the big day have yet to be set, but one thing's for sure: The couple won't exactly be scraping by as it gets the marriage started. According to Golf Digest, McIlroy brought in more than $20 million last year, with $18 million coming from off-the-course deals. And according to Forbes, Wozniacki collected $13.6 million in 2013, with $11 million of that coming from endorsements.
Also of note in that Forbes piece is that McIlroy is also on the list -- two of Forbes' top 30 people in sports under 30 will soon be one big, strong married couple.
Other Hot Links:
- Rory McIlroy Engaged to Caroline Wozniacki
- Dustin Johnson & Paulina Gretzky Are Engaged
- Rory McIlroy Battles Wayne Rooney in Nike Commercial
- The Year of Rory McIlroy in Commercials
- Rory McIlroy Upsets Adam Scott for 1st Win of 2013
- Gary Player: Rory Needs to 'Find the Right Wife'
- Rory Talks Trash to a Robot
- Video: Tiger, Rory and Ahmad Uncensored at Mission Hills