With his victory at the Waste Management Phoenix Open in February, Kevin Stadler punched a ticket to the Masters for the first time. Kevin’s father, Craig, will also play at Augusta as a former champion.
That marked the first career victory for Kevin despite having made nearly 240 tournament starts, and it leads to the first time a father and son will play at the same tournament in the history of Augusta. Eleven father-son combinations have competed in the Masters, but not until this year will a combo play in the same year.
Related Link: 15 Great Nicknames In Golf History
Kevin and Craig won't be paired together, and it's unlikely for Craig to make the cut. But all that matters is they'll both be inside the ropes to get things started. This year's Masters is likely to be Craig's 38th and final appearance.
"If and when I do ... bow out, I can't think of a better way to do it than playing with your son in the same tournament," the father told reporters. "It's awesome."
Craig and Kevin played an abbreviated practice round together Monday, and headed back out together Tuesday.
Craig – also known as the "Walrus" – was a 13-time PGA Tour winner in his own right, including the 1982 Masters for his first and only major victory. He would later join the Champions Tour in 2004, accumulating nine wins on that tour.
In all, there have now been nine father-son winners on the PGA Tour (or at least what eventually became the PGA Tour):
- Tom Morris Sr. and Tom Morris Jr.
- Willie Park and Willie Park, Jr.
- Joe Kirkwood Sr. and Joe Krikwood, Jr.
- Jack Burke Sr. and Jack Burke, Jr.
- Clayton Heafner and Vance Heafner
- Julius Boros and Guy Boros
- Al Geiberger and Brent Geiberger
- Jay Haas and Bill Haas
- Craig Stadler and Kevin Stadler
More Masters Coverage:
- 9 Players to Watch at the Masters
- The Masters: Insiders Guide
- Tiger Woods To Miss Masters For 1st Time in Career
- Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell (Video)
- A Look Inside The Green Jacket
- All Shook Up: The Green Jacket (Video)
- Oh, the Places Golf's Majors Trophies Have Been
- The Masters: 2014 Rookie Class
- The Masters: 2014 Returning Champions
- The Masters: 2014 Remaining Field
- Kangaroo to Lobster: The Masters Champions Dinner
- The Odds: Tiger Withdraws From Masters, Rory Assumes Top Spot
- A Tradition Unlike Any Other: Dumb Masters Arguments
- The Masters: 9 Greatest Shots (Video)
- Augusta's Famed Eisenhower Tree Removed, 'Ike' Probably Happy
- 2014 Major Venues Not Immune to Winter Blast (Photos)