Welcome to The Fringe, Back9Network's daily feature to keep you up-to-date on the best stories happening in golf, social media and pop culture.
Justin Rose Hits Incredibly Bad Chip Shot … and it's Not the First Time
Justin Rose showed us all again that even though they appear to be, tour professionals are neither super-human nor golfing robots programmed for domination. The whole week, Pinehust No. 2 will be punishing the best players in the world. But on one swing, Rose was only punishing himself:
This isn't first time Rose has hit a less than stellar chip shot. Earlier this year at the Valspar Championship, Rose dug his wedge into the turf with strikingly familiar results.
I'm sure Rose isn't worried about the one out of a bazillion shots he messes up, however. And if you're going to duf one in the U.S. Open, it may as well be on Thursday, right? Rose finished the day with a 72, leaving him at plus-2 for the tournament.
Related Link: Graeme McDowell Discovers Secret to Conquering Pinehurst
Nobody Knows Futbol Like John Daly, Jon Gruden and Joey Chestnut
It may be U.S. Open week here in the United States, but most people in the world have their eyes firmly focused on Brazil and the World Cup, which also got underway Thursday. Now, futbol (or football, or soccer) isn't as popular in America as it is all over the world, but we do have our experts on the game. Here's John Daly, Jon Gruden and Joey Chestnut to tell you all about the global game … sort of:
Of all the things I never thought I'd see John Daly do, talking soccer is not as surprising as him eating a bowl of fruit. See? Everyday there's something new to learn or see. Thanks, Hooters.
Related Link: U.S. Men's Soccer Team Takes on 17th at TPC Sawgrass
Jhonny Vegas Hangs out with the Arizona Diamondbacks
PGA Tour winner Jhonattan Vegas may not be in Pinehurst this week for the U.S. Open, but that doesn't mean he's sitting at home twiddling his thumbs. No, instead Vegas was hanging out with the Arizona Diamondbacks, just like you or I do when we aren't playing in the U.S. Open.
#VenezuelanPower. Catching up on a little baseball with my Venezelan friends.
Vegas looks like he's having a pretty good time with his buds in Phoenix, but I'm sure he'd rather be chasing major glory in North Carolin.
Related Link: Rickie Fowler Takes Batting Practice At Cardinals Camp
In Case You Missed It
Rickie Fowler Honors Payne Stewart in Style
Rickie Fowler is somewhat of a style guru on the course, always wearing bright, perfectly-matching outfits. For the first round of the U.S. Open at Pinehurst, Fowler took his outfit up a notch in honor of golf legend Payne Stewart. Read More
Report: Phil Mickelson's Insider Trading Involvement Overstated
A weight may have just been lifted off Phil Mickelson’s shoulders in time for the U.S. Open. The New York Times has reported that Mickelson’s role in insider trading investigations has been overstated. It turns out Mickelson never traded shares of Clorox, one of the stocks for which he was being investigated. Read More
Out Of Bounds
Each day in this segment, we try to bring you something funny, something a little crazy, or something you've never seen before. What do we have today? Oh, you know … just a dude jumping over an airplane with a motorcycle:
When I first saw the headline I thought,"Yawn … anyone can jump over an airplane." When I saw that it was moving, it was a totally different thing. Kicking it up big time. Since most of us have motorcycles, ramps and airplanes lying around at our residences, I must do the responsible thing and advise you not to try this at home.
Related Link: Rory's Social Media Break & Like Father, Like Daughter
U.S. Open Links:
- Complete 2014 U.S. Open Coverage
- Ken Duke Makes the Best Par You'll Ever See
- 2014 U.S. Open: Best Day 1 Style
- Day-by-Day Look at Keegan Bradley's U.S. Open Jordan Shoes
- Georgia Tops List of Alumni Playing in 2014 U.S. Open
- Adam Scott Super Fan Rocks Awesome Haircut
- U.S. Open Odds: Bettors Have A Crush On Jordan Spieth
- Photos: 2014 U.S. Open Day 1
- Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan to Make U.S. Open Appearance
- Rickie Fowler Honors Payne Stewart in Style
- 9 Things We May have Forgotten about Walter Hagen
- TaylorMade Staffers Celebrate Father's Day with Golf Bags
- 9 Best Groups To Watch at 2014 U.S. Open
- Rory McIlroy on Tiger Woods: 'I'm Sad, I Miss Him'
- Fashion Icon: Payne Stewart & T. Barry Knickers
- Graeme McDowell Discovers Secret to Conquering Pinehurst
- Phil Mickelson: 'I'll Probably End Up Winning My First Open' If It Rains
- PUMA Golf Scripts and Limited Edition Gear for 2014 U.S. Open
- Under Armour Scripting for 2014 U.S. Open
- Golfstradamaus: 2014 U.S. Open
- The 5 Golfers Who Have Achieved the Career Grand Slam
- By the Numbers: U.S. Open History
- Pinehurst 2.0: Mean Greens
- The Real Origins of Pinehurst
- A Look Back: Phil Mickelson's Six U.S. Open Runner-Up Finishes
- Masters Thoughts with Will Ferrell
- Pinehurst No. 2: Restored Back to its Historic Roots
- 5 Things You Need to Know: 2014 U.S. Open at Pinehurst
- Chuck Irons, Golf P.I. Is 'Pinecursed'
- 2014 U.S. Open Round 1 & 2 Tee Times and Pairings
- Greatest Ever: Payne Stewart & the 1999 U.S. Open
- Top 9 U.S. Open Moments
- 9 Players to Watch at the 2014 U.S. Open
- 9 Best Golfers Yet to Win a Major
- Missing Major: 9 Players Who Just Missed Career Grand Slam
- U.S. Open Ticket Prices Plummet From 2013
- U.S. Open Odds: McIlroy, Scott and Mickelson Lead
- Oh, the Places Golf's Majors Trophies Have Been
- TaylorMade Scripting for 2014 U.S. Open
- Nike Golf 2014 U.S. Open Scripting
- It's Official: Tiger Woods To Miss U.S. Open
- Phil Mickelson Sees Multiple Olympics, U.S. Open Wins in Future
- Heartbreaker: Amateur’s U.S. Open Dream Ends with Self-DQ
- USGA Hands Out 25 More U.S. Open Exemptions
- Cheyenne Woods Qualifies For U.S. Women's Open