Welcome to The Fringe, Back9Network’s daily feature created to keep you up to date on the best stories happening in golf, social media and pop culture.
McIlroy. Rory, McIlroy. Shaken, Not Stirred
What do Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore and Rory McIlroy have in common?
Well … nothing, actually. Rory McIlroy is the hottest golfer on the planet and probably the greatest thing since Tiger Woods and sliced bread. But as of right now, he has no intention of playing James Bond — just posing for pictures as the famous secret agent.
McIlroy spent time doing media for Omega, the Swiss watch maker who sponsors the world’s current No. 1 golfer, after it announced a partnership extension through 2022 with the PGA of America on Tuesday. The appearance yielded plenty of opportunities for cool photos, including this one of McIlroy hanging out with the Mars Rover.
McIlroy will have the opportunity to collect his third win in a row and his second major championship of the 2014 season this week at Valhalla. The 2012 PGA Champion will be looking for his fourth career major and to become the third No. 1-ranked player to win a major while in that position.
Related Link: Take a Look Inside Rory McIlroy’s Plush Pad
Billy Horschel to Sport “Camo Frog Pants” at PGA Championship
Perhaps the only guy on tour whose style comes close to that of John Daly is Billy Hoschel. Ever since he burst onto the scene at the 2013 U.S. Open at Merion, finishing T-4 in octopus pants on Sunday, Horschel has been dazzling golf fans with crazy pants — some that I’m not sure even Daly would dare wear.
The latest installment has everyone hoping Billy Ho hangs around for the weekend at Valhalla. Otherwise, the world will be deprived of his latest fashion statement — camo frog pants.
— Billy Horschel (@BillyHo_Golf) August 5, 2014
Along with his famous octopus pants, Horschel had planned on wearing snakeskin pants at the Open Championship but, unfortunately, he missed the cut. Should Horschel have a good showing this week, you have to imagine the camo frog pants will find their way to his trouser hall of fame, forever remembered like the octopus pants.
Related Link: Billy Horschel Cleans Out His Closet, Retains Octo-pants
Golfers Brawl Over Rules Of Golf
From the “We’ve all been there before — almost” files comes the story of two grown men who decided to fight over the rules of golf. No, seriously … they literally got into a fight. Like, fight to the point that both of these men ended up in the hospital and, potentially, facing criminal charges.
According to a news release, the suspects were playing together at the Springdale Golf Course in South Union Township, Pa., Sunday afternoon when “they became embroiled in a heated debate over the rules of golf, specifically regarding water, on the 5th hole.”
According to the reports, the suspects aren’t going to be identified but are said to be 42 and 63 years of age.
Let’s be fair: Everyone here has ended up getting paired with someone whose company is less than desirable, or played money matches with friends of friends or those who like to take mulligans and don’t much mind grounding their club in the bunker during competition.
I’m not condoning getting into a fight with someone over something as small as the rules of golf — but I understand, and I’m sure everyone else who takes their golf seriously does, too.
In Case You Missed
‘Walk-In Putt’ at Valhalla Just One Of Tiger’s Famous 16th-Hole Shots
Tiger Woods’ decorated career is littered with great moments. They’re iconic moments of triumph and wizardry, if you will. His ability to make shots under pressure is unmatched by any other player.
The 2000 PGA Championship at Valhalla provided us with one of those historic shots. Well, two shots, actually. Read More
Ray Allen’s Golf Bag is a Must-See
Ray Allen hosted his annual charity golf tournament at TPC River Highlands on Monday to raise money with the hope to “build a computer lab in every middle school” in Connecticut. The tournament benefited a great cause, and his bag from the event was pretty sweet as well. Read More
Out Of Bounds
Today in the world of adrenaline junkie news, some insane people got together with help from the folks at SpeedStick to create the world’s longest urban zipline:
The footage of their day is pretty exciting. Seriously, what did extreme sports athletes … nay, the world do before GoPro cameras came into existence? I’m not afraid of heights or anything, but this video sent shivers up my spine. Just doesn’t seem like there’s much room for error, but these guys and gals are treating it like it’s just going down some water slide — like it’s fun and not potentially lethal. I don’t know, maybe I’m a coward. This looks fun, don’t get me wrong, it just looks wildly dangerous, too.
Related Link: Tiger’s Caddie Carries On & Fowler Turns Some Laps
More PGA Championship Links:
- Complete PGA Championship Coverage
- Dufner Serves ‘Butt-Rubbed’ Filet Mignon at PGA Champions Dinner
- Tiger Among Six Players Who Requested Registration Extension
- 5 Things You Need to Know: 2014 PGA Championship at Valhalla
- Chuck Irons, Golf P.I. – Valhalla Victory
- Now More Than Ever, Tiger’s Race to Catch Jack Looking Dim
- Flashback: Sergio Challenges Tiger at 1999 PGA Championship
- 9 Greatest Moments in Valhalla Golf Club History
- Live Updates: 2014 PGA Championship Long-Drive Contest
- ‘Walk-In Putt’ at Valhalla Just One Of Tiger’s Famous 16th-Hole Shots
- 2014 PGA Championship: Rounds 1 & 2 Tee Times and Pairings
- 2014 PGA Championship: adidas & Ashworth Scripting
- PGA Championship 2014: PUMA Golf Scripting
- 2014 PGA Championship: Nike Golf Scripting
- 2014 PGA Championship Scripting for Oakley’s Bubba Watson
- Why the PGA Championship Is Not a Minor Major
- Return to Valhalla: Tiger Woods vs. Bob May 14 Years Later
- The Odds: Rory Remains Huge Favorite at PGA Championship
- Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy Get Custom Louisville Sluggers
- 2014 PGA Championship: Valhalla Hole-By-Hole
- 2014 PGA Championship Scripting for Jason Dufner
- Last Shot: Colin Montgomerie Gets Final Major Chance at Valhalla
- 9 Greatest Moments in PGA Championship History
- PGA Championship To Welcome Back Long-Drive Competition
- You Can Influence the PGA Championship’s Outcome
- Players & PGA Championships To Offer $10 Million Purses
- The Fringe: Bubba Watson Won’t Drive for Show
- The Fringe: Tiger’s Caddie Carries On & Fowler Turns Some Laps
- ‘Stay Tuned’: Keegan Bradley Teases Fans With Jordan Shoes
- Greg Norman Collection Featured at PGA Championship, Ryder Cup
- The Breakdown: Rickie Fowler’s Majorly Impressive Year
- Oh, the Places Golf’s Majors Trophies Have Been