Fourteen-time major champion Tiger Woods finalized a new sponsorship contract extension with Nike Golf in July of 2013 and, in doing so, chose to continue a relationship with the sport company juggernaut that began in 1996.
“He is one of Nike’s most iconic athletes and has played an integral part in Nike Golf’s growth since the very beginning,” the company said in a statement.
Speaking of the beginning, Woods’ relationship with Nike has been ongoing for more than 17 years. Here’s a quick rundown of the superstar’s timeline with Nike since 1996 in honor of his 39th birthday Tuesday.
1996 – “Hello, World”
Tiger signs his first deal with Nike in a move that had as much racial undertones as those related to his age. Not only was Woods to become the highest-paid black golfer in the history of the sport, but Nike was also taking a huge risk with signing a 19-year-old to a $40 million, five-year contract.
Later that same year, Nike released Tiger’s first “official” commercial starring the golfer in the “I’m Tiger Woods” campaign. With it, Woods immediately became the player kids everywhere wanted to become.
1990′s – Golf’s Not Hard
2001 – Tiger’s First Contract Extension
Woods quickly became the highest-paid golfer on the planet by signing a massive five-year, $100 million contract extension in 2001. By that time, Woods had already made his mark on professional golf, winning more than 25 tournaments, including five majors.
2004 – Tiger and Frank Get A Haircut
2004 – Tiger and Frank at the Diner
2004 – Tiger and Frank “Sand In Funny Places”
2006 – The Second Contract Extension
Success for Tiger – and Nike – continued into 2006 when the golfer was offered and signed another extension with the company for seven years. While reports differ on the terms of the extension, we have to imagine it was considerable since Woods had accumulated 54 tournament wins and 12 majors by that year.
2006 – Inspiration
2006 – Swing Portrait
2007 – Trick Shot
2007 – Young Tiger Wins British Open
2008 – Never
2009 – Split Personality
2009 – Special Delivery
2010 – Earl and Tiger
2011 – Dark Horse
2011 – Father’s Day
2013 – Nike TW ’14: The Sport of Golf
2013 – Nike Golf: No Cup Is Safe
2013 – Nike Golf: Apologies
Photo Gallery: Tiger’s Major Victories
Related Link: Video: Ahmad Rashad Hassled By Tiger Woods
Other Hot Links:
- Back9Network Launches On DIRECTV Sept. 29
- Tiger Woods: ‘Two Years Since I’ve Felt This Good’
- Presidential Night: Presidents Cup Squads Visit White House
- Photos: Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn
- Photos: Tiger Woods Fans
- Tiger Woods No Longer Forbes’ Highest-Paid Athlete
- Tom Watson Holding Out Hope Tiger Woods Can Play Ryder Cup
- Rory McIlroy on Tiger Woods: ‘I’m Sad, I Miss Him’
- With Not Much Else To Do, Tiger Woods Masters Video Games
- Tiger Woods Design Making Progress in Cabo San Lucas
- Tiger Woods’ ‘Tiger Jam’ Once Again a Success
- Players React Following Tiger Woods Injury Bombshell
- Tiger Woods Sinks 91-Foot Putt at Trump National Doral
- Tiger Woods Has No Love for Dufner’s Auburn Tigers
- Video: Ahmad Rashad Hassled By Guy On Driving Range… And It’s Tiger Woods
- Rory McIlroy Edges Tiger Woods in Match at Mission Hills
- Tiger Woods Hits Golf Ball from Asia into Europe
- Did Sergio Garcia Learn His Lesson from Tiger Woods Comments?
- Lindsey Vonn: Tiger Woods is ‘Dorky-Goofy’