In a move that may be shocking to some golf fans, Tiger Woods has officially informed the PGA and U.S. captain Tom Watson that he does not want to be picked for this year’s Ryder Cup team.
The news broke suddenly Wednesday evening on the PGA of America’s Twitter account:
— PGA of America (@pgaofamerica) August 13, 2014
Tiger gave some reasoning behind the announcement in a statement on his website:
"I've been told by my doctors and trainer that my back muscles need to be rehabilitated and healed. They've advised me not to play or practice now. I was fortunate that my recent back injury was not related to my surgery and was muscular only.
"I have already spoken to Tom [Watson] about the Ryder Cup, and while I greatly appreciate his thinking about me for a possible captain's pick, I took myself out of consideration. The U.S. team and the Ryder Cup mean too much to me not to be able to give it my best. I'll be cheering for the U.S. team. I think we have an outstanding squad going into the matches.
"I plan to return to competition at my World Challenge tournament at Isleworth in Orlando, Florida, Dec. 1-7. It's an event that's important to me and my foundation, and it will be exciting to be playing again."
Tom Watson also released a statement in response to Tiger.
“My primary wish is for Tiger to be healthy and competitive, and I hope that he’ll return to the game very soon,” Watson told the PGA. “Of course, I’m disappointed that Tiger Woods has asked to not be considered for the U.S. Ryder Cup Team, and that his health is not where he would like it to be.
“However, I think we can all agree that we need Tiger Woods in this great sport, and he has taken the high road by informing me early on in the selection process.”
Various reports prior to Wednesday’s announcement suggested that Tiger reached out to Watson earlier in the week specifically requesting to be picked for the team. Without a doubt, this new development was likely the right decision not only for Tiger and his health, but possibly for the overall quality of the U.S. Ryder Cup team this year.
Photo Gallery: Tiger's Major Victories
Other Tiger Woods Links:
- Smooth Move? Tiger Woods Considers Shaving Head
- Tiger Woods On His Son: 'He Wants to Beat Me in Everything'
- How Tiger Woods has Fared in Comebacks
- Photos: Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn
- Photos: Tiger Woods Fans
- Tiger Woods No Longer Forbes' Highest-Paid Athlete
- With Not Much Else To Do, Tiger Woods Masters Video Games
- Tiger Woods Design Making Progress in Cabo San Lucas
- Tiger Woods' 'Tiger Jam' Once Again a Success
- Tiger Woods Sinks 91-Foot Putt at Trump National Doral
- Tiger Woods Has No Love for Dufner's Auburn Tigers
- Video: Ahmad Rashad Hassled By Guy On Driving Range... And It's Tiger Woods
- Rory McIlroy Edges Tiger Woods in Match at Mission Hills
- Tiger Woods Hits Golf Ball from Asia into Europe
- Lindsey Vonn: Tiger Woods is 'Dorky-Goofy'